Even the most confident amongst us goes through occasional periods of time where they don’t feel very confident. I happen to be in the midst of one if those times right now. I can say for a fact that lacking confidence is a huge Joy Thief. So this post is about how to keep your Joy when you lose your confidence.
In general I tend to be a pretty confident woman. This has not happened naturally. It is the result of my parents constantly speaking positivity and encouragement into me for 30 plus years and my own efforts at positive thinking, optimism and faith (I really do believe I can do all things through Christ.
Nevertheless I have taking a hit to my confidence. I think its the combination of the general cluelessness of being a new mom, being only 2 weeks back at the day job after 4 months off, and one of my weaknesses having been recently pointed out. That is the confidence killing trifecta that I’m dealing with. Here are the things I’m doing to get through it.
How to keep your Joy when you lose your confidence:
- Understand feelings are not always reality. Not feeling confident opens the door for all kinds of self doubt and feelings of inadequacy. It’s important to remember that feeling like I’m not good enough and / or dont belong are just feelings not facts.
- Remember that perfection is not a requirement nor a realistic goal.
- Limit negatives self-talk and rely on affirmations for a mood boost.
- Focus on your strengths. This pat on the back will be the first steps back toward the road to confidence.
- Give it your all. A confidence slump will make you feel like giving up. Don’t give in. Give your best in whatever area your tempted to throw in thr towel. This simple act of noe quiting can keep your confidence from sinking lower.
Not feeling confident sucks. It is the opposite of Joyful. But, I know this does not have to be a permanent state and focusing on the steps above will help me bounce back to my normal confident self in no time.
Have you ever experienced a confidence slump? How did you come out of it? Which of thr steps above was thr most helpful.