Happy Monday!!! Today I am giving you a suggestion on how to choose goals.
If you have been a Joy Chaser for a while you know I like goals setting on Mondays. It is a great way to start thinking positively about the week. We don’t come down with the Mondays around here. Wanting to set goals and know how are two different things. I have written about Smart Goals before so you know how to develop a goal. The question is how do we decide on what our goals should be. Here are three strategies on how to choose goals.
- Take a long look at your week, and your month. What do you have to get done and by when? Do you have deadlines at work? Are you expecting visitors? Do you have an upcoming event? Now track backwards. Break down the things you need to get done into smaller tasks. These tasks will make awesome goals.
- What have you been putting off? We all have thing we like doing and things we put off until later. However, just because we put off doing things does not mean we forget about those things. They hang around in the back of our minds nagging at us and stealing our joy. So, think about something you may have been putting off and create a goal that either gets it done or makes a dent in it.
- Use the Stop, Start, Continue method. I really liked this idea when I heard Lisa Nichols talk about it. It is super simple. Think of a 1 behavior or habit each that you want to stop, you want to start, and you want to continue. Now create goals around each of them.
I used these techniques to come up with the following goals for myself this week.
- clear off my bedside table and keep it clear
- drop off donations at Salvation Army
- cut my sugar
I hope you find these strategies on how to choose goals helpful. Don’t forget to then make those goals SMART.
What goals did you choose for this week?
P.S. Join the 90 day Joy Makeover Bootcamp starting March 1st to learn a ton of other strategies for Chasing Joy and building resilience.