On Sunday I made a big unexpected purchase. It was about $1,700 and totally worth it because it is giving me reproductive options. Lately, as a women living in the United States I have felt anxious as pro-life laws in several states are being passed. I am not pro-live and certainly not pro-abortion. I don’t even know that that is a thing. But I am pro-options. This is supposed to be the “land of the free” so our laws should be moving to give us more freedoms and options as to how to live our lives, not less. However that is not always the case especially in recent weeks. But the purchase I made on Sunday reminded me that in 2019 despite certain legal and cultural trends,
I have more options as to how to live my life than past generations. I have the option:
- To Vote
- To go to college
- To learn a trade
- To not get married and still be valued as a productive member of society
- To get married and keep my last name
- To have children and a career
- To make more money than my spouse
- To become a single mother by choice
- To own property
- To control my own finances
- To own and drive a vehicle
- To run for office including the office of President
- To not have children and not have my femininity or value as a woman challenged
- To wear my hair in its natural state
- To practice my faith openly
- To take advantage of reproductive options like IVF, sperm, egg, and embryo donations
- And many more options that have not even occurred to me.
I created this list not to say that we should not be concerned about what’s happening with women’s rights. But because on Sunday my $1,700 option made me feel empowered and that is a much better feeling than fear. If you have been feeling afraid and attacked by the recent news may this list help you to feel empowered to take advantage of the options we have in 2019 and to stand up and fight to keep them and gain more.
Curious about the $1,700 option that made me feel empowered? I purchased sperm!!! Yes you read that right, sperm. I am a single mother by choice. Baby Joy Chaser was conceived via sperm donor. In 2019 I have the option to give him a sibling. I’m not sure If I will have another baby. But I know I want the option. Check out the video below for the specific details that lead to my purchase taking advantage of my reproductive options.
What are options have you taken advantage of that past generations did not have?