Sometimes we go through things and periods in life that just suck. We can’t pretend its not happening or fake happiness. Trust me, I know. I have been through many of those times including break ups, losing my parents, miscarriage, and unsuccessful months trying to conceive. These things suck! However we still have to keep going. Here are 6 tips on how to survive a bad day or days.
1. Get out of bed. When times are hard it is hard to even get out of bed in the morning. Get up anyway. When you stay in bed all day you send yourself a message that you have nothing to live for. You reinforce the hopeless feeling instead of fighting against it. So get up. Get out of the bed. Even if you only make it to the couch it is a step in the right direction.
2. Shower and get dressed. Put on clean clothes. Not pajamas. Remind yourself that every day holds promise and at least you are dressed for the occasion. You are ready if the possibility of something fun should fall in your lap. Furthermore being cleaned and dressed will help you to fell more upbeat more hopeful. It wards off that why bother attitude that is common during rough times.
3. Go outside. Get some fresh air and most importantly some sun. Sunlight gives us vitamin D. Vitamin D can boost your mood. As a matter of fact whenever I notice I’ve been feeling down I increase my Vitamin D supplements. (Consider that a bonus tip).
4. Take note of any medications you may be taking. Having been on the Trying to conceive bandwagon for about 18 months now I have taken a few fertility medications. Sometimes when I am feeling down it is because of the medications. As the medications are necessary I have to take them but it does make me feel a little better to understand why I may be feeling down or more sensitive. If your medications are causing you to feel down that is important info for your doctor.
5. Read a book. When reality sucks books can provide a great escape. My favorites are books that make me laugh. Mysteries are also good because I can get lost in trying to figure out who done it.
6. Start a project. Sometimes just having a purpose can get us out of a funk or, make our funk a little easier to deal with. Starting this blog was my project after losing my dad. Having something Chasing Joy related helps me a lot. You do not have to start a blog to have a project. Some people knit. Others do DIY projects. Figure out what kind of project will help you. You may have to try a few things to figure it out. Don’t give up.
There you have it 6 things to do to help you through bad days and hard times. No matter what get up, get dressed, and go outside and LIVE! Eventually you will feel better. Nothing in life lasts forever, including bad times.
How do you get through rough times or bad days?