Over the years I have done a lot of online dating. One think I’d noticed was that unless I was on a website specifically for black people there would only be a few black men on sites like match and eharmony. (I think/hope that is changing). I never expected to run into a worse version of the same problem while trying to find a sperm donor. Where are all the black sperm donors???
Despite there not being many black sperm donors I managed to find one. It was not easy to pick him though. Here are some of the things a woman or family may consider when choosing a sperm donor.
- Ethnicity – some may pick a donor of their same ethnicity for obvious reasons while others may pick a donor of a different ethnicity to decrease the chance of certain genetic diseases.
- Age – some people prefer an oldefr or a younger donor for various reasons
- CMV Status – CMV is a virus like the common cold. You will not know if you have had it until your doctor tests you. If you are CMV negative you will want a CMV negative donor. While CMV is harmless if you get it it can be very dangerous to your baby if you get it while pregnant.
- Height, eye color, skin tone, hair color, – Some people want a donor who looks similar to them or their family so that the baby may look more like them.
- Medical history – If certain illnesses run in your family you may want a donor who does not have those same illnesses in their family.
- The donor essay
- The donor education level